Yesterday and last week in conjunction with teaching about the sacredness of the blood of another human( Leviticus 17 focus on verse 11) , disclaiming black on black crime and domestic violence, including child abuse, in conjunction with Valentine's Day, I decided to teach on LOVE.
WHAT AN EYE OPENER
WHAT A HEARTBREAK.....
GOD IS LOVE....THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE LOVE HAVE NO PART IN HIM....I JOHN 3:2-6; II John 1:4-5,9....What was intended to be a very simple, short exercise, turned into 'the nightmare on whatever street'....what are we teaching our children in church? ARE THEY BEING TAUGHT THE WORD AT ALL OR JUST SOME DENOMINATIONAL DOCTRINE AND TRADITION!?
THE EXERCISE: Take three minutes and think about who it is that you DEARLY, TRULY LOVE...THAT LOSING THAT PERSON WOULD BE LIKE RIPPING YOUR HEART OUT AND LETTING A LOADED LOG TRUCK RUN OVER IT....
write WHY you love that person...the characteristics that make them soooo special.
NOT COMPLICATED...............20 minutes
85% of them said they love their Mama. 10% loved their GrandMama. 3%
loved their Daddy. ONLY 2% loved God... the very one we are to love with
ALL of our heart, mind, soul and strength (Mark 12:28-33) and our
neighbor as ourselves.
That's not the part that hurt. The hurt came with the answers to WHY you love them///
- they gimme nice things
- they buy me things
- they take me places
- they do what I ask
- they give me money
- they feed, clothe, shelter, provide for me...... WE LIVE IN A GENERATION OF GIMME AND IT'S ALL ABOUT ME YOUNG PEOPLE...If you don't value anything or anyone but you, what you want, what you need, then the ends justifies the means because YOU ONLY SEEK SELF FULFILLMENT AND THEREFORE IT IS EASY TO TAKE A LIFE, ESPECIALLY ONE THAT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH YOUR SELFISH DEMANDS.
- PARENTS DON'T GO BROKE OR RUN OUT OF PLACES TO GET CASH/CREDIT...YOU MAY BECOME A STATISTIC.
I took them to I Corinthians 13...the encyclopedia/ Christian wikipedia of LOVE and laid it out in terms they could understand and they looked at me as though I came from some other planet and spoke not in Pentecost other tongues but an unintelligible language altogether:
- Love holds fast...not quich to throw in the towel...LONGSUFFERING---bears, believes, hopes, endures ALL THINGS
- Love is temperate, nice, considerate...KIND
- Love is not a hater, not jealous, not ENVIOUS
- Love is not uppity, holier than thou, better than the rest, but humble...VAUNTETH NOT, IS NOT PUFFED UP
- Love has good character, good upringing, good social skills and can represent...DOES NOT BEHAVE UNSEEMLY
- Love seeks the other person's good, puts the other ahead of him/herself as CHRIST DID ON THE CROSS....does not seek it's own
- Love is not a hothead, bully, angry, upset, trigger tempered, it's balanced...Not easily provoked
- Love has a clean heart and therefore a Phillians 3 pure mind...THINKETH NO EVIL
- Love takes pleasure in God and the things of God...LOVE REJOICES IN THE TRUTH WHICH JESUS IS!!!
- Love is a check you can take to the bank and it has not time limit and will never bounce...LOVE NEVER FAILS
CHURCH...CAN WE PLEASE GO BACK TO THE OLD LANDMARKS ??? ALL THAT SOCIO-POLITICAL STUFF IS FINE IN IT'S TIME, BUT OUR CHILDREN AND ADULTS need to know the basics.